new Southern Electric Group logo

Units 8021-8025

8021 on an up service at Clapham Junction 8021 was delivered from Washwood Heath to Eastleigh 7th March 2001. It was moved to Wimbledon on the 28th of that month. During July of that year it was noted taking part in 12 car trials out of Wimbledon with 8004 and 8023. July 2001 is alos te mont this unit commenced passenger service. 8021 returned to Eastleigh on 6th October and released back to traffic during November 2001. 8021 returned to Eastleigh in September 2002 for further modifications.  The last working of 8021 was on 27th May 2006 working the 22.42 Reading to Waterloo after which the unit repaired to Clapham Yard until moved to Wimbledon on 2nd June.  However, in a turn round of fortune,  this unit is one of a pool of eight that has been used beyond the RVAR deadline. 

8021 pausing at Clapham Junction with an up working on 4th October 2002.
photograph by Colin Duff

It is now fitted with 40mm passenger information displays.  Along with other modified units it was withdrawn from service at the end of September 2006 but following modifications has since returned to work.

8022 on an up service at Eastleigh 8022 was delivered from Washwood Heath March 7th 2001. This unit moved to Wimbledon around May 2001 was in passenger service by June of that year. 8022 was at Alstom Eastleigh for modifications between August and September 2002. During June 2006 this unit was reported as not having worked in passenger service since February, its last working being the 221.2 Reading to Waterloo on February 6th 2006. This unit was thereafter stored at Wimbledon except between 5th May and 26th June when it resided at Clapham Yard. 8022 was moved with 8014 from Wimbledon to Bournemouth TM&RSMD on 12th July 2006 to be prepared for handing back to the lessors. As of 21st November 2006 this was the only 458 unit remaining at Bournemouth, however it was hauled back to Wimbledon by 8008 on 21st November. This unit was reported to be out on a test run with 8014 to Guildford on 20th December. It had returned to service by 23rd December. 8022 went down to Bournemouth T&RSMD on 15th October 2008 for refreshing and returned to Wimbledon on 19th November in the company of 8024. It returned to traffic two days later.

8022 at Eastleigh on 17th April 2002.  The photographer's notebook records the unit was about to depart northbound carrying passengers circa 09.03 so it is likely it was working a Portsmouth - Waterloo via Basingstoke service.
photograph by Colin Duff

8023 at Waterloo 8023 was delivered to Eastleigh during April 2001 however it had returned to Washwood Heath by the end of the month. The unit was allocated to Wimbledon during June 2001 and used with 8004 and 8021 for 12 car trials during the July of that year. 8023 entered traffic the following month. It returned to Eastleigh in September 2002 and is thought to have returned to traffic by the end of the year. 8023’s last workings prior to the RVAR deadline were on Wednesday 19th July when it was running with 8030. 8023 was reported back in service by 11th December 2006. Being the 18th unit for refreshment, 8023 went down to Bournemouth T&RSMD on 31st January 2009. On 6th March it piloted 8020 back to Wimbledon.

8023 at Waterloo on the 29th June 2006, its last day in service before re-instatement.
photograph by Colin Duff

8024 under the scaffolding at Waterloo 8024 was delivered from Washwood Heath to Eastleigh during April 2001 and entered service during August. This unit was at Eastleigh for modifications during September and October 2002.

On the 6th January 2003 8013 and 8024 failed between Esher and Hersham arriving at Woking over 4 hours late. The unit then spent a further spell at Eastleigh being released back to traffic in May 2003.

On June 30th 2006, the last day SWT were due to run class 458s, 8024 was one of the six units in service running with 8017 on the WM706/705 (am only) diagram. However, that was not the last day SWT run these units because on 4th July this pair worked the 17.35 and 20.50 services from Waterloo to Reading and the 19.12 and 22.42 return workings, then spending the night in platform 15 at Waterloo.

On Friday 14th July 2006 8017+8024 were again out working the 07.24 Reading to Waterloo and this pair ran the same service on Thursday 20th July. 8024 emerged yet again, this time with 8016, on Friday 21st July when they ran the 07.24 Reading to Waterloo. On Friday 28th July, supposed to be the penultimate weekday of 458 operation, this unit and 8016 were on a Reading line diagram finishing at Ascot at 19.19.  8024's last recorded working (with 8016) was after the RVAR deadline on 1st August however it was not one of the pool of eight units that continued to run.  This unit had re-entered service by 13th December 2006. On 14th October 2008 8024 went down to Bournemouth T&RSMD to pilot 8014 back from refurbishment. This unit reprised this role on 19th November when it piloted 8012 down to Bournemouth and 8022 back to Wimbledon. This unit became the 17th due for refurbishment at Bournemouth, travelling there on 26th January 2009 and returning to Wimbledon on 17th February.

(above) 8024 at Waterloo( whilst the station roof was being worked on) on 25th January 2005.
photograph by Phil Scott

8025 on a down working at Richmond 8025 was added to stock on 8th August 2001 and entered passenger carrying service in November of that year. This unit was at Eastleigh for modifications during September and October 2002. 8025 received further modifications, this time at Stewarts Lane, during November and December 2002. This unit’s last working was on 3rd March 2006 with the 22.12 Reading to Waterloo service and was then put into store at Wimbledon.  8025 has since been woken from its slumbers and had been returned to service by 18th December 2006. This unit was sent to Bournemouth on 2nd December 2008 to take part in regenerative braking trials and then refreshing. It returned to Wimbledon on 22nd December and returned to traffic the following day.
8025 at the rear of an eight car formation whilst working the 11.06 departure from Richmond to Reading on 25th September 2004.
photograph by Colin Duff